Search this forum
Subscribe in a Reader
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow StudTravelForum on Twitter

Fulbright Grants Program for US Students 2012 - 2013

Go down

Fulbright Grants Program for US Students 2012 - 2013 Empty Fulbright Grants Program for US Students 2012 - 2013

Post by gap on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 18:16

Fulbright Grants Program for US Students

If you:
- Are a U.S. citizen, who
- Will have a bachelor’s degree by the beginning date of the grant, but will not have a doctoral degree as of October 17, 2011, and who is
- Thinking of studying, assistant-teaching English, or conducting research abroad

You could be one of more than 1,700 students who receive a Fulbright U.S. Student grant to go overseas.

The U.S. Student Fulbright Program:
- Operates in more than 135 countries worldwide
- Offers grants in nearly all fields and disciplines, including the sciences, professional fields and Creative and Performing Arts

A U.S. Student Fulbright Grant
- Allows for individually designed study/research projects or an English Teaching Assistantship You can propose a project and/or study plan that will take place during one academic year in a country outside the U.S.
- Provides support for study/research/teaching in a single country (For exceptions, see World Region Summaries) You can meet, work, live with and learn from the people of the host country, sharing daily experiences.
- Facilitates cultural exchange Through direct interaction on an individual basis in the classroom, field, home, and in daily tasks, you can gain an appreciation of others’ viewpoints and beliefs, the way they do things, and the way they think.
- Promotes mutual understanding Through engagement in the community, you can interact with your hosts on a one-to-one basis in an atmosphere of openness, academic integrity, and intellectual freedom.

Who can apply for a U.S. Student Fulbright Grant?
- Recent BA/BS graduates Graduating seniors and recent Bachelor’s-degree recipients usually propose projects for which they have had some undergraduate preparation and/or direct work or internship experience.
- Master's and doctoral candidates Will demonstrate capacity for independent study or research, together with a general knowledge of the history, culture, and current events of the countries to which they are applying.
- Young professionals, including writers, journalists, and those in law, business, and other professional fields May have up to 5 years of professional study and/or experience in the field in which they are applying. Those with more than 5 years of experience should apply to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars in the Fulbright Scholar Program.
- Artists and musicians Applicants without a Bachelor’s degree may substitute at least four years of professional training or experience.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program has a preference for candidates who have not had recent extensive experience abroad (excluding recent undergraduate study abroad), especially in the country of application. Grants shall not authorize activity for which a license to practice medicine or nursing is required.

- Be U.S. citizens at the time of application. Permanent residents are not eligible.
- Hold a B.A. degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant.
Applicants who have not earned a B.A. degree or the equivalent, but who have extensive professional study and/or experience in fields in which they wish to pursue a project, may be considered.
In the creative and performing arts, four years of professional study and/or experience meets the basic eligibility requirement.
Applicants may hold a J.D. degree at the time of application, but not a doctorate.
M.D. or medical students or the equivalent (e.g., D.D.S, O.D.) who wish to continue medical or hospital training or to obtain practical clinical experience should apply to IIE. However, M.D.s who have completed formal postgraduate training and propose attachment to a hospital or clinic for independent or collaborative research should apply to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars. Grants shall not authorize activity for which a license to practice medicine or nursing is required.
- Be in good health. Grantees will be required to submit a satisfactory Medical Certificate of Health from a physician.
- Have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study. This is especially important for projects in the social sciences and the humanities.

When, and for how long, is the grant awarded?
Grant lengths and dates vary by country. Please consult the Country Summaries for specifics.

In general, grants for 2012-13:
- Are one academic year in length—between 9 and 12 months.
- Begin no sooner than July 2012 and no later than March 2013.
- Correspond to the academic calendars abroad.

Grant Categories
U.S. Student Fulbright Grants fall into three general categories:

- Full Grants for Study/Research
Most grants offered in the U.S. Student Program are Full Grants. These include grants in academic fields and in the Creative and Performing Arts and Writing. Grants shall not authorize activity for which a license to practice medicine or nursing is required.

- Full Grants for English Teaching Assistantships
ETA Grants are available to over 65 countries. Additional countries may be added.

- Travel-Only Grants
Available in Italy, Germany, and Hungary only and are designed to supplement:
an award from any source that does not provide for international travel
a student’s own funds for study or research.

Online Application Submission Deadline October 17, 2011

For further information visit Fulbright US Program website here


Number of posts : 132
Reputation : 0
Points : 389
Registration date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum